Captain Crabby’s Dungeness Pie
(Can also be made with Lobsta’)
Makes 4 servings.
4T Butter Juice from crab
1lb Dungeness crab meat 4T Butter
1 1/2 – 2T Flour 1T Fresh lemon juice
1 C Half and Half 1 1/2 Cups crushed Ritz crackers
2 Egg yolks, beaten
2 Baking potatoes Parsley & Lemon slices optional
1/3 cup medium-dry sherry
1. Cook the potatoes whole, in the microwave and set aside.
2. Drain crab and reserve juice (if any)
3. Pre-heat oven to 425F regular bake.
4. Melt 2T butter in a saucepan, add sherry and boil 1 minute. Add drained crab, stir
and remove from heat.
5. In a saucepan, melt 2T butter. Add flour, cook and stir until mixture bubbles.
Remove from heat.
6. Drain and reserve a sherry mixture from crab meat.
7. Slowly stir reserved sherry and Half and Half into flour mixture until thoroughly
blended. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly until sauce is smooth and
moderately thick. (adjust with Half and Half or mix in cornstarch if necessary).
8. Spoon approx 4T of the sauce into a small bowl. Add beaten egg yolks, 1 T at a
time, stirring well after each addition. Return this mixture to the sauce and mix well. Stir
over LOW heat from about 3 minutes. DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
(If you mess this up you will have bad, alcoholic scrambled eggs !!)
9. Remove from heat and add to crab.
1. Melt butter in a pan. Stir in lemon juice. Remove from heat
2. Stir in crushed crackers and any reserved juice from crab so the mix is moist.
1. Cut baked potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out center leaving about 1/2
inch inside the peel. Place each potato 1/2 in an individual serving dish. Oval ramekin
2. Pour crab sauce into and over each potato to fill the ramekin.
3. Spread topping evenly on each dish
4. Bake at 425 F for about 10 minus until top begins to brown. Don’t overcook.!
5. Garnish with parsley and lemon slices if desired.